Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Thursday, May 8, 2008

Baby Hats and More!

When my good friend Alli posted a message about her local hospital needing hats for the newborns, I couldn't resist! Studies show that caps help to prevent newborns from dropping their birth weight. Well, I'm all about babies, in case you haven't noticed! Alli has the basic pattern on her blog, and I just tweaked it here and there to break up the monotony! I used Baby Teri by Red Heart. It is so soft and I used size 8 U.S. needles so the hats knit up really fast! They wash really well too as I discovered after I spilled food on the yellow one I was working on. Eating and knitting don't always mix! Here's a group picture:

Some of them have little bears for the top:

Some of them have stripes:

Some of them have ridges, vertical and horizontal:

And, some of them are definitely for baby girls!

I have yet another hat on the needles. If you decide to make one for your newborn, I hope you'll also consider making one for charity. Alli's pattern is done flat and then seamed, but because I hate to sew, if I don't have to, I did mine in the round. You can use 16" circulars until your second decrease, then you'll have to switch to either magic loop or dpns to finish them off.

I've also been making some more bibs. Here's a picture of Bert and Ernie that I did just on a whim. Because the characters are copyrighted, I won't be posting any directions, but I thought you might like to see it. I was really limited by the size so I know it isn't great, but at least my older grandsons know who they are!

I have another dinosaur bib too, but I won't be posting that until I check the pattern...again. I'm finding it very difficult to post directions, because the stress of wondering how many mistakes there might be is keeping me from enjoying sharing patterns. Thank you to all of you who have pointed out errors. I'm also really grateful for those of you who have also told me when you haven't found any!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have been busy with the baby hats. They are so cute. I just wanted to let you know I have made all the bibs you have posted, and there has been no mistakes. They are wonderful, and fun to make.

susanmark said...

HI I LOVE all of your patterns and haven't found any mistakes either. so far I've done two garter stitch and now am doing two neon green dino.

The hats are cute. I have that pattern and LOTS of blue baby teri. My local stores don't sell it any more.

Thanks for all the great patterns. I am looking forward to what you come up with. PLEASE don't let any one ruin your pleasure in making these patterns.

HUGS
Susan

Kathy... said...

Love the tiny little hats! I need to knit some charity items in accordance with my new years resolution. And, of course new grandbaby will need a nice hat or two... :)

Love Bert and Ernie too. I think it is a very accurate likeness.

I admit that I have knit only one of your bib patterns (so far) but no errors were found by THIS knitter! Don't let them get you down. :)

LDSVenus said...

I have to say what adorable and wonderful hats you made, those were lucky babies :). I'm with you on using the circular and then double points when knitting in the round, because I too hate to seam. I actually knit everything on circulars, I just don't knit everything in the round ;P. I'll have to try your baby bibs, I know my new grandson probably needs one or two :).